Stop. Pause, and read…
- “The poor are hungry and their hunger traps them in poverty.” Hunger is the number 1 cause of death in the world, killing more than HIV/AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis combined. (Source)
- There are 2 billion children in the world and 1 billion of them live in poverty. (Source)
- One in seven people in the world will go to bed hungry tonight. (Source)
- “The world produces enough food to feed everyone. World agriculture produces 17 percent more calories per person today than it did 30 years ago, despite a 70 percent population increase. This is enough to provide everyone in the world with at least 2,720 kilocalories (kcal) per person per day. The principal problem is that many people in the world do not have sufficient land to grow, or income to purchase, enough food. ” (Source)
- The richest 1% hold 46% of the world’s wealth. (Source)
Hello? Do you get it? We’re not “looking” for a cure or solution. It already exists.
Don’t worry though, I’m a realist. I get it. There are so many other complicating factors that keep hunger as the number one case of death. However, it doesn’t mean we should ignore it. The idea of food blogging would be outlandish to half the world’s population who live on less then $2.50 a day (source) . However, it’s the perfect platform because it brings people together who are passionate about the sharing of food. Stay tuned for a spotlight each week on one easy way you can help make the solution a reality.
“Sometimes I want to ask God why he allows poverty, famine and injustice in the world when he could do something about it, but I’m afraid he just might ask me the same question.”