It’s national chili month! Time to take your beans to the hot tub.
Now I realize chili is a tricky subject. Everyone has a recipe, and everyone thinks it’s THE recipe.
This is not the end all be all chili, because no such thing exists. However, I do think it’s versatile and complex enough to tickle a variety of taste buds.
So then the only question remains…Why is it Charlene Chili?
Tune in Wednesday to find out…
10 oz. Blackeye Peas
1-1.5 lbs. ground turkey (I used 99.9% fat free)
Salt & Peper
8 oz. diced yellow onions
8 oz. fresh diced roma tomatoes
(2) 14.5 oz. cans Del Monte Diced Tomatoes, Zesty Mild Green Chiles
(2) 14.5 oz. cans Del Monte Stewed Tomatoes, Basil, Garlic & Oregano
(1) 14.5 oz. can Southwest Corn
(1) 14.5 oz. can dark red kidney beans (drained & rinsed)
1/2 tsp. cayenne powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. celery salt
(1) 1.45 oz. Hersheys Special Dark Chocolate Bar
1 tbs. decaf instant coffee
1. Rehydrate black eye beans by boiling uncovered for 20 minutes.
2. Heat up dutch oven or large pot on stove to medium high and coach with olive oil. Add ground turkey and season generously with salt & pepper.
3. Once meat is almost cooked, add fresh onions and tomatoes. Cover for 5 minutes.
4. Add canned tomatoes, corn and beans.
5. Add chocolate & coffee. Simmer 5 minutes.
6. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and green onions.
“I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself. “