Happy Seis De Mayo!
What do you mean it’s not a holiday? Don’t visit urban dictionary if you 1) disagree 2) hate bathroom humor…
It’s actually many a holidays today: National Teacher Appreciation Day, National Nurses Day, National Tourist Appreciation Day, National Beverage Day, National Crepes Suzette Day (huh?) but I think today should be all about celebrating the pre-unofficial start to summer day (since Memorial day stole that show).
Let’s talk about guacamole. At the core it’s mashed ripe avocado with sea salt.
But that’s where the fun begins…
Sweet and salty, to me, is the ultimate and then red pepper flakes join this party to pull it all together. Cinco de seis love.
Spicy Roasted Corn Peach Guacamole
1 corn on cob (in husk)
2 ripe avocados
1 firm peach
½ tablespoon red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon – ½ tablespoon garlic salt (to taste)
Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place corn in husk directly on rack and roast for 30 minutes or until corn is tender.
- Cut avocados in half, removing pits, and mash using mortar and pestle or bowl and fork.
- Roll lime between hands to release juices and cut in half, juice one half into mashed avocado.
- Cut peach into chunks and combine gently with lime and avocado.
- Remove corn from oven and cut kernels off cob. Wait till cool and then add to mixture.
- Add red pepper flakes, garlic salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with dipper of your choice (shown here with multigrain tortilla chips).
Wine Pairing: Cupcake, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.“Judge each day not by the harvest you reap, but the seeds you plant.”
-Robert Louis Stevenson