I hated fish as a kid.
But then I “grew up” and realized it actually DID taste good and didn’t make me want to gag. Know what else used to make me gag as a kid? Yogurt and sweet potatoes. (I can see my mom shaking her head in agreement as she reads this.) LOVE them both now. Isn’t that weird?
So back to fish. It’s essentially all I order out anymore. Especially when combined with amazingness (probably not a word) like rosemary and butter. Gag me not.
Oh, and of course paired with the perfect white wine. Side story: I recently visited Legends Vineyard in Bel Air, MD and was surprisingly shocked at how many wines struck my fancy. Plus, they were all extremely affordable. This Pinot Gris was only $14.00.
Back to the original thought. So what foods made you gag as a kid that you love now? Send me your answers in the comment section!
Poached Cod with Rosemary Butter
Cod (I used 2 filets worth .64 lb.)
8 cups water
14.5 oz mirepoix (chopped celery, carrots and onions)
1 cup white wine
1/8 cup sauce sauce
1 lemon, sliced
Rosemary (a few leaves and stems – leave one out for topping)
3 tablespoons butter
- Combine water, mirepoix, white wine, soy sauce, lemon, salt and rosemary in large pot to create a court bouillon.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add cod and cook till fish begins to fall apart and become flaky (approximately 10 minutes).
- Remove from court bouillon.
- Serve with drizzled butter and chopped rosemary.
Wine Pairing: Pinot Gris (Seen here with Legends Vineyard)
“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience. “
-Pierre Teilhard de Chardin